Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Where I Stand

In yesterday’s blog, I made the comment that I was probably more moderate than many of my ultraconservative students. I thought I would explain exactly where I stand in today’s blog.

I do not wish to be a member of any political party. I consider myself independent, though I have voted Republican in every presidential election I have voted in – and that’s all of them since I turned eighteen. I am not inclined to join political action groups of any stripe, primarily because they are almost always more radical in their beliefs than I am.

I consider myself moderately conservative. As a Christian, I hold certain family values that are extremely important to me, and as a rule, Republicans have tended to uphold those values more than Democrats have.

I also value my freedom and feel that the less government control we HAVE to have, the better. However, I also know that some control is absolutely necessary for an orderly and functioning society. It is a matter of degree. It is not a question of all regulations or none at all, but a question of how much regulation is needed to provide for an efficient economy and a fair society. It is this belief that makes me more moderate than many.

I am a firm believer in capitalism and free enterprise, but I recognize the evils of unrestrained greed. Wall Street has demonstrated that quite well in the past decade. Clearly, more oversight and regulation could have prevented the housing debacle. The trick now is to institute enough control to prevent another crash without stifling growth. It won’t be easy, and it will require reasonable minds willing to work together and compromise to make it work.

I do not put stock in conspiracy theories. There are well-known and respected conservatives in the media who would reveal such nefarious goings-on if they did, in fact, exist.

I also get frustrated with people who see devils behind every tree. To them, everything the opposition does has some sinister meaning. For example, much has been made in the past week about the President asking people to forward emails to the White House if they contain criticism of his healthcare reform. Suddenly people are convinced that he is creating some kind of enemy list, red-flagging American citizens who need “watching.” A far more likely explanation is that he simply wants to know what people are saying so he can refute it, and that is exactly what he is doing with his “reality check” web site.

I do not hate Barack Obama. I do not think he is evil, nor do I believe he is the anti-Christ. That alone places me squarely to the left of many of my friends and family. I feel he is quite genuine in his liberal beliefs and honestly thinks he is changing this country for the better. I just don’t agree with him.

I do not get my kicks from bashing the President. I was appalled by the vitriolic hatred directed at President Bush by the left, and find it just as appalling when such hatred is directed at Obama. I still have the old-fashioned belief that we should respect the office even if we don’t respect the man himself.

While humor is an acceptable way to make political points, many of the off-color jokes, especially the racial ones, directed at Obama are inappropriate. I don’t appreciate it when they show up in my email box. A good, clean joke is another matter. I happen to think that “Obamanation” is a very clever play on words.

I do think that Obama is much more liberal than the average American and, therefore, does not represent us well, even if we did elect him. (That can be explained by demographics and the anger towards Bush.) He also has no real experience in governing, and none whatsoever in business or the military. Because I believe a person CAN be judged by the company he keeps, I have serious concerns about many of his past associations. I cannot believe that he sat under the teachings of the radical Reverend Wright without being influenced by him. I know I would not stay in a church for over twenty years if I did not agree with the pastor on important matters. I also wonder how a man without big money and connections rose to the top of the Chicago political machine, which is historically one of the most corrupt governments in the United States.

I also do not feel that Obama can be trusted to do what he says he will do. He has already done a complete about-face on several issues. I think he has a very liberal agenda and will do whatever it takes to put it into action.

I, like many Americans, am frightened by the huge deficit Obama is creating. I love my country, but I am very, very worried about its future. We are naïve if we think that our economy cannot come crashing down – it can. And then who knows what would happen? I can’t even go there.

I do not like the way crucial legislation is being rushed through Congress. Issues such as healthcare reform are much too important to get wrong.

My final point is that we have very real and serious issues that need to be addressed in a reasonable fashion. The hatred, unfounded suspicions, and name-calling get us nowhere.
Let’s get past all that and start talking to one another, no matter what our political leaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment